Friday, January 8, 2010

Committee on the Status of Men

So, yesterday, I had an e-mail conversation with a co worker and a couple other guys. The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

It started with getting an email with the subject: "Survey for Women of UT to Assist the UT Committee on the Status of Women"

I received a reply shortly thereafter from a coworker who sits in the cube next to me, let's call him Craig. Another colleague joined in the conversation, let's call him Brad. Here's how that conversation went. (There were two others mentioned, who either knew better, or didn't have time to join in the conversation. Their names were not changed).

Craig: Is there a Committee on the Status of Men?
Me: You should start one… I’ll join!
Craig: Let’s just wait on what the rest of the men of the university think. What’s that, like two more (Brad and Lad)?
Me: I think Todd too, but I can’t be sure.
Brad: I think the Women’s status committee is more interesting for some reason.
Brad: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell
Me: Seen that one… all too true. Have you seen the other comics on that site? Read the story about eating horses… warning, there are references to horse rape, just FYI.
http://theoatmeal.com/story/eat_horses
Brad: Sounds like something I saw on man vs wild last night
Craig: The future of UT Committee on the Status of Men is looking grim I say. Not a good start gents.
Me: WHAT??? Horse rape is a serious thing… over 1 man a year is raped by a horse, and it’s something all men should be concerned about… Add that to the Agenda for the next meeting… Horse Rape.
Craig: Yes I’m currently reading this [horse rape] article and I am so far baffled of my unawareness of this situation us men of the UT Committee on the Status of Men could possibly encounter. This is nerve racking I say! Definitely a strong candidate of consideration for the agenda.
Brad: FYI they keep copies & monitor the email here. I don’t want to be explaining to somebody (again) that something I wrote to someone else was just a joke... 
Me: Horse Rape… a clear joke. Paranoid much? HR is standing right behind you… go ahead, try not to look.
Brad: Paranoid? Yes. They give you a badge for it after 4 years. Also an agenda item I guess. We should put below the horse issue.
Brad: PLUS you’re talking about horse rape, have you seen JC’s social media icons? Shes all about the ponies
Craig: I thought about that when I saw the article. Alright enough of this UT Committee of Status of Men (CSM). We’ll continue this another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment